Monday, August 1, 2011

I'M IN LOVE WITH LAURA LINNEY

  I'm in love with Laura Linney.  
  I think I have been ever since I first saw her portray Mary Ann Singleton in the first TALES OF THE CITY mini-series on PBS in 1993.  She was exactly as I had envisioned Mary Ann Singleton while reading the wonderful series of novels by Armistead Maupin.  Perfectly cast, she went on to appear in the following 2 installments of the TALES book sequels (MORE TALES & FURTHER TALES), doing so even after she had established herself as a leading actress in films such as CONGO, PRIMAL FEAR and ABSOLUTE POWER.
  When she did appear in the TALES sequels, I was very impressed and so happy that she did.  She could have said, "No, I'm a movie star now, I don't do TV," but she didn't.  She couldn't have been paid much to be in the series.  After all, we're talking public television here.  But act in them she did much to my happiness, because by then I had developed a serious crush on her.
  Not a sexual kind of thing.  After all, I'm gay.  I adored the actor who played Michael in TALES but it was Laura Linney I remembered.
  I worked at Paramount when she starred opposite Jim Carrey in THE TRUMAN SHOW in 1998
and I managed to snag a tix to the world premiere at the Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. not because I wanted to see the film that much, but because I was hoping to meet Ms. Linney at the post-premiere party.  I didn't get to meet her, but I did see her fairly up close and she's prettier in person than she is on screen.
  She made appearances in the Oscar winning MYSTIC RIVER in 2003 and co-starred in LOVE ACTUALLY and THE LIFE OF DAVID GALE and  was Oscar nominated (best supporting actress) in KINSEY.  In 2005 she starred in one of my fav films of the year, THE  SQUID AND THE WHALE.   Twice she has been nominated for best actress for her performance in THE SAVAGES and YOU CAN COUNT ON ME.  It was in these 2 films, the first with Philip Seymour Hoffman and the second with Mark Raffalo, that my school boy crush turned into love.  She touched my heart as no actress ever had.
  It became a love affair for life when she portrayed Abigal Adams in the HBO series, JOHN ADAMS and took home the Emmy for her amazing performance.  In her death bed scene, I sobbed like a baby.  Unbelievably real, gut wrenching, brilliant acting.  
  She has done several plays on Broadway and I was so disappointed that I couldn't get up to NYC to see her performance in TIME STANDS STILL for which she received a Tony nomination.
  This love affair has only deepened with the second season of her series (THE BIG C) on Showtime.  The series - and Ms. Linney - have gotten even better this year.  She's funny.  She's
poignant.  She can do everything.   She's beautiful.  She's intelligent.  And I'm crazy about her.
  Yup.  I'm in love with Laura Linney.
  

1 comment: